Thursday 24 May 2018

Recent work, Lord Rendal

This traditional ballad didn't really fit with the rest of the tunes that I've been recording. It is said to date back to the 17th century as 'testament of the poisoned man' or similar (and in Italian I think). But that had a very different tune.

The version I came across and really liked was by a Victorian gentleman, Granville Bantock. But I went with it anyway. Hey, they're my rules. And did what I felt was right. An opportunity to play a slow melody flugelhorn solo as the intro and finish, and get a bit raucous in the middle.

That doesn't really fit with the sentiment of the song, which is a conversation between Lord Rendal (or Randal sometimes) and his mother. He's feeling pretty ill and it turns out that he's been poisoned by his sweetheart. His mother seems more concerned about what things he's leaving to members of his family.

I'm pleased with what I've done nonetheless.


That makes 12 tracks now, and I'm going to start uploading them for purchase at Bandcamp and other sites, and preparing myself for the sound of tumbleweed.

No comments:

Post a Comment